This site is the manifestation of the pursuit of my childhood loves. For as long as I can remember, I wrote stories, poems, songs, plays. I wrote for pleasure because it seemed so entirely natural, innate. As a child, I was given a camera, and I spent lazy, sunny afternoons lying on my back photographing my mother’s garden. I wandered down trails looking for a place to shutter.
These loves always seemed separate, and in recent years, they even seemed conflicting. I often wondered which I should invest in, which love was worthy of my precious time. I birthed two boys, and I spend my days caring for them. But this has never changed: I write; I shutter; I see.
And I am beginning to understand all these things are entwined. I write for clarity, for creativity. I hold a camera in hand, appreciating its refining presence. Both pursuits give me ways of seeing. When I sit down to write, I’m gleaning. I’m cultivating a thoughtfulness. To write is to choose to be present, aware: it’s a way to see beauty in the ordinary. A camera is a tool to capture, but when it lives in the artist’s hand, it’s doing more than capturing. It’s prompting, forcing a more focused awareness.
In recent years, I’ve struggled with calling, with finding a purpose outside the walls of mothering. But on the best days, I know these things are true. I am a writer. I am a photographer. I am a seeker.
Through my own eyes and through my own process of trying to truly see, I hope you join me. I hope we all have eyes to see, ears to hear and hearts to understand.
May this site bless you with beauty,
- Read the blog!
- Cling: Faith Lessons from my Son’s Early Years
“Somewhere in between the snotty noses, sleepless nights and incessant diapers, Denise Lilly’s baby boy adjusted her sight. She saw the beauty of dependence. She saw growth in difficulties. She saw wisdom in obedience and courage in the face of change. She saw glimpses of glory. Before her son was born, she was being primed for an awakening. Being pregnant taught her about expecting, waiting, nourishing and sharing. Being a mom taught her even more.”
- Contributor to Five Minute Friday: A Collection of Stories Written in Five Minutes Flat
- Published Pieces: Take Care, Literary Mama; Blessings for Cursing, Inspired Women Magazine
- Guests Posts for Beautiful Kingdom Warriors, Grace for Moms, JP Lizzy, The Declare Conference and Mustard Seed Associates
- View my portfolio!
- Over 10+ years of various photographic experience including portraits, weddings, events, commercial images and gallery assistance
- Commercial Clients include: Bitzy Baby, Bird & Bear Design, Ancora Bags, Maine Huts & Trails and Northern Outdoors
- Gallery Assistant and Social Media coordinator for Schoolhouse Gallery
- Publications: Snow Magazine, The Original Irregular