We have a tradition in our family for Christmas Eve. Every year, we give the boys one gift – a book about the true meaning of Christmas. I thought I’d share some of my favorites, and be sure to let me know of others in the comments!!
- Song of the Stars, A Christmas Story by Sally Lloyd-Jones (author of the Jesus Storybook Bible) – this one is my favorite! Using animals from all across the globe, it talks about the whole world being in anticipation for Jesus’ arrival. It also weaves in many of the names for Jesus (Good Shepherd, Mighty King, Rescuer, etc.). I HIGHLY recommend this book! It’s rated for ages 4 and up. But Oli loves it and even enjoyed it at 2.5 last year.
- The Story of Christmas by Patricia Pingry -This is a board book with a simple retelling of the Christmas narrative. It ends by wishing Jesus Happy Birthday.
- Christmas in the Manger by Nola Buck – This is my favorite board book Christmas. It rhymes and tells the story by focusing on one item/person at a time – star, donkey, Mary, Jesus, etc.
- Who is Coming to Our House? by Joseph Slate – This is a simple tale with cute illustrations. The animals of the stable are getting ready for Mary and Joseph and Jesus.
- Humphrey’s First Christmas by Carol Heyer – In this book, the Christmas story is told through one of the wise men’s camel’s perspective. The camel is jealous for a blanket, that he gives to Jesus when he meets him.
- God Gave Us Christmas by Lisa Tawn Bergren – Last Easter, I found God Gave Us Easter at our library and loved the way the book weaves natural relegation together with the story of Easter. So, this year on Christmas Eve, my boys will receive this book! The illustrations are really adorable, and I’m sure the boys will love it.
- The Story of Baby Jesus by John Joven – I recently joined Usborne as a consultant (but had already bought my book for this year!), and they have a beautiful Christmas book. It has a padded cover and has a little more detail on the narrative of the first Christmas. (If you purchase a book from the link, I will receive a commission, but keep in mind, the book will not arrive in time for this Christmas.)
Do you know of any other good ones?