If you’re like me, you’re realizing it’s high time to stock pile some candy for Halloween!
One of the clearest steps we can take as consumers to ensure our purchasing isn’t proliferating slavery is to stop purchasing unfairly made chocolate. Unfortunately, at Halloween, this includes virtually all typical chocolate candies. But unless chocolates are labeled as “Direct Trade”, “Fair Trade” or “Rainforest Alliance Certified”, they are likely using cocoa from the Ivory Coast where children are known to be forced into continual slave labor in order to provide large companies with cheap chocolate. So before you purchase your Halloween candy this year, here are some suggestions on alternatives:
- Just choose non chocolate options like Dum Dums, a simple lollipop made in the USA.
- Equal Exchange offers fair trade chocolate minis.
- Popcorn Balls or other non-Candy, made in the USA snack food.
- Wikki Stix are made in the USA and provide a fun, non messy alternative to candy.
- For the snack dish in your home, try Jelly Belly candy corn, made in the USA.
Note: These are affiliate links. If you purchase the items using the links, I receive a small commission, helping me support this website.